What is DIM?
DIM supplements are becoming more and more popular for their health benefits including some exciting research into their anti-cancer potential. DIM or Diindolylmethane to give it its full name, is a powerful natural phytochemical found in a number of cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and kale.
Before we go on to look at the best supplements available in 2017, let us take a more detailed look at what makes these supplements worth taking in the first place.
How DIM Helps your Health
DIM is especially helpful in regulating the hormones and maintaining healthy levels of estrogen in both women and men. This has a significantly positive health effect on any number of bodily functions and potential health issues related to the hormones.
Research into the potential anti-cancer effects of DIM is at an early stage but signs are promising.
According to research, DIM is a natural aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase inhibitors are especially helpful in stopping estrogen production in post-menopausal women. They block aromatase which converts androgen into estrogen within the body. Less estrogen is therefore available for stimulating the production of cancer cells. (1)
There are also a number of other studies demonstrating the anti-cancer potential of DIM especially its effects with regard to breast cancer. (2)
Whether you are male or female, getting plenty of DIM into your system through dietary sources or taking a DIM supplement can have very positive effects on your health. While estrogen is usually associated with women and testosterone with men, both hormones are actually present in both sexes.
By keeping your hormones properly regulated and functioning efficiently, you can reduce the risk of certain cancers but balancing the hormones helps you in numerous other ways.
Menopausal women can benefit greatly from properly balanced hormones. By taking DIM supplements, women in the menopausal stage of life may see a significant reduction in many of the common symptoms of menopause like night sweats, hot flashes, fatigue and irritability.
Men can also benefit. During their middle age, men have a higher level of estrogen in their bodies than in their younger years. If men have too much of this estrogen in their body it can cause various unwanted side effects such as infertility, erectile dysfunction. Increased estrogen levels can also cause heart health issues and may increase the risk of heart attacks and stroke.
The benefits of DIM supplements also include better skin and acne prevention, improved mood and enhanced energy levels.
Why Take DIM Supplements?
We have already mentioned that DIM is a phytochemical present in various cruciferous veggies, so why would you need to take a supplement?
The reason for this is that your diet is highly unlikely to provide you with the levels of DIM that you can get from a supplement. In order for your broccoli, kale of bak choy to make a real difference, you would have to consume around 2 pounds of cauliflower or broccoli every single day. Now I love broccoli but I don’t know how long I would be able to stick to that regime.
Possible Side Effects of DIM Supplements
Changes in the balance of your hormones can cause certain adverse side effects. Among the most common side effects of taking a DIM supplement are headaches especially during the first couple of days. These headaches are unlikely to last long once your body gets used to the new routine. Other reported side efects include gas and bloating likely because the supplements are extraed from cruciferous vegetables.
What you Should Look out For
When you are buying any type of supplement, it is important to look for the best quality. When it comes to DIM supplements, the process is pretty straightforward. The majority of brands do not contain any extra ingredients or unnecessary additives.
Occasionally piperine or biopiperine extracted from black pepper are added to improve absorption. Some brands also add vitamin E to improve absorption and make the supplement more bioavailable.
Most of the DIM supplements on the market are available in capsules which range in strength from 100 to 200mgs. Most companies recommend taking this amount daily but there are a few extra strength supplements withe a dose in excess of 200 mg.
The Best DIM Supplements in 2017
So now that you know what DIM supplements can do for you, let us take a more detailed look at some of the best brands on the market.
1) Smoky Mountain Naturals : DIM 200mg Plus BioPerine
This is a high quality, completely natural DIM supplement. It is actually stronger than many on the market at 200 mg and contains BioPerine to help improve the bioavailability and absorption of your supplement.
Reviews from users suggest that this is an excellent product especially for women going through the menopause. There have however been some reports of minor digestive side effects like gas and bloating and also some people have reported headaches when firrst using the supplement.
- These DIM supplements only contain completely natural ingredients.
- The supplements contain both Vitamin E and BioPerine for maximum absorption.
- One bottle gives you a 2 month supply.
- At 200 mg, these are stronger than many supplements on the market.
- They are GMO free.
- They are free of soy.
- They are suitable for vegans.
- Some users have reported headaches for the first few days of use.
- Some people have reported minor digestive issues such as stomach upset, gas and bloating.
2) Detox Genie : DIM Extra Strength Plus BioPerine
Like the previous supplements in our list, these DIM supplements contain nothing but natural ingredients. These supplements are also stronger than many on the market at a dose of 200 mg and also contain BioPerine to aid in absorption.
These DIM supplements by Detox Genie are a great way for both men and women over the age of 40 to balance their hormones and metabolism. Menopausal women can benefit significantly as they can combat estrogen imbalance and relieve many of the symptoms of the menopause.
- These supplements contain 100% natural ingredients.
- They contain BioPerine to maximize bioavailability.
- They balance hormones and are very effective in treating symptoms of menopause.
- One bottle provides a 2 month supply of supplements.
- They are GMO free.
- Suitable for vegans.
- Some users have reported minor side effects like headaches in the initial stages of use. Start at a lower dose for a few days until your body gets accustomed to the supplement.
- They contain magnesium stearate.
3) Olympian Labs DIM 150 mg
This supplement is a lower dose than the first two on our list but is still a high quality product. As well as balancing hormones, the manufacturers claim that their supplement can improve bone health, skin health and even promote fat loss.
These supplements are marketed more towards men and promise to eliminate any active estrogen in a man’s body. They promote leaner muscle mass and improve the ratio of testosterone to estrogen.
- These supplements are a great choice for men.
- They can improve lean muscle.
- They are free of gluten and suitable for vegetarians.
- Have a citrus-like taste.
- One bottle is just a month’s supply.
- Some users have reported headaches.
4) We Like Vitamins : DIM 100mg 200 capsules
This DIM supplement is a lower dose than the others on our list at just 100 mg but it is still an effective supplement that can help to relieve menopause symptoms in women.
Being a lower dose than many of the others gives you more control over the amount you are taking and may be suitable for people with a sensitive stomach.
Unfortunately, these capsules have an off putting smell and do not taste much better. You may find you need to take these pills with something tastier than plain water to get rid of the after taste.
- Good for symptoms related to menopause.
- The lower dose is suitable for women with sensitive stomachs.
- A supply lasts up to 200 days.
- Capsules are free of preservatives and easy enough to swallow.
- They are GMP certified to guarantee quality.
- These capsules smell and taste very bad.
- They are not suitable for vegans or vegetarians.
5) Evolved Organics : Extra Strength DIM 250mg
These strong DIM supplements have a great reputation for blocking the production of estrogen and relieving the symptoms of menopause.
Their absorption is also enhanced with the inclusion of vitamin E and BioPerine to ensure that you are getting a real bang for your buck. The 250 mg dose may not be suitable for everybody but is ideal for women looking for a more powerful supplement.
As well as helping balance the hormones and block the production of estrogen, they promise to aid weight control and improve lean body mass.
- Powerful, extra strength supplements.
- Effectively block the production of excess estrogen.
- They may help with weight control.
- Contain ingredients to improve absorption.
- They are suitable for vegans.
- They are gluten free.
- Unpleasant smell and taste.
- The extra strength dose may be too strong for some people.
All of the supplements inour list are popular and reliable. Which on you choose to buy is entirely up to you but we hope that this article has helped you to make a more informed choice. Good luck and tell us if you found your supplement effective or otherwise.