How to Get Rid of a Double Chin
Have you ever been camera shy? Have you ever been reluctant to look at your passport photos? How about trying not to look at the mirror in the morning?
I’m quite prone to chubbiness and have been for most of my adult life. Unlike some lucky people that can go through life eating what they want and not doing any type of rigorous exercise, I have to be very careful with diet and lifestyle to avoid gaining weight. Maintaining a decent weight has become even more difficult as I push through middle age.
The first place I really notice any weight gain is around the face, my cheeks start looking flabby and my chin sort of starts to disappear. I have tried sucking my cheeks in when pictures are taken but it doesn’t work that well and I end up looking like a slightly overweight bloke who is sucking his cheeks in.
Losing weight is clearly the most effective method
Let’s be honest, there is no hiding away from the fact that the best way to lose your double chin is to lose weight. If you look in the mirror and see two chins looking back then there is a good chance that you are overweight. While you can tone areas of your body with exercise, it is not possible to target a specific are to lose fat.
When you lose weight, you lose fat from your entire body and you’ll quickly notice the effects everywhere, often quite dramatically in the face. Unlike the rest of the body which you can disguise with the right type of clothing, your face is nearly impossible to hide.
As well as weight gain, it’s possible that you are developing a double chin simply because of the aging process. Your skin will begin to lose its elasticity as early as your twenties according to dermatologists.
Fortunately there are a variety of effective targeted exercises that you can try to get rid of your chins.
Posture is important
Before getting into specific exercises, it is important to note that proper posture is very helpful. We spend a lot of time slumped either in front of a computer or on the sofa in the evening. Try to remain aware of your posture and sit up straight when possible. Don’t stretch your neck outwards but try to keep your head high above your shoulders lifting your chin a little higher than normal.
There are some great exercises that you can do to reduce your double chin. They are very simple and convenient; you can do them pretty much anywhere and anytime. When doing any of these exercises, take care to retain a good posture.
8 Great Exercises for your chin
1) Tilt Your Head and Pout
- Either when standing up or sitting down, make a pout by sticking out your lower lip as far as possible. Make sure your posture is good and hold the position.
- Next, with your bottom lip still stuck out, contract the muscles in your neck and push your chin down into your chest as far as you can. Make sure to keep your upper back straight.
- Hold the position for a few seconds.
- Finally relax your mouth and return to the starting position to complete the first rep.
- You should do twenty or so reps twice a day.
2) Kiss The Ceiling Exercise
This is a very simple exercise that you can do at home or in the office.
- Simply stand upright leaving your arms dangling next to your body.
- Pucker your lips and do your best to kiss the ceiling by pushing them out as far as you can; hold the position for 5 seconds or so.
- If you are doing it correctly, you will likely feel your neck and chin areas becoming taught.
- After 5 seconds, return to your natural standing position for the completion of one rep.
- Try doing 20 reps twice.
3) Sticking Out The Tongue Exercise
This is probably not an exercise you should do in public, but it’s another very simple exercise to tighten your chin muscles.
- Either from a relaxed sitting or standing position; try to open your mouth as wide as possible and push your tongue out through your mouth as far as you possibly can.
- Hold the position for ten seconds and you should feel a tightening in your chin area.
- After ten seconds relax and repeat for twelve reps.
4) Lip Pull Exercise
This is a very effective exercise for toning your facial muscles and tightening your skin.
- Begin the exercise in a sitting or standing position being aware of your posture.
- Next, lift up your lower lip as far as you can by pushing out your jaw.
- Hold the position for a count of 10 and then relax.
- You should feel some stretching of the chin muscles and a tightening in your jawline.
- Repeat the exercise between 12 and 15 times.
5) Tennis Ball Exercise
A simple and effective exercise is to put a tennis ball on your throat.
- Making sure that your posture is correct, push your chin downwards and hold the ball tightly against your throat.
- Release gently but hold the ball in place and repeat the action ten times.
6) Head Lifts
- Lie on your bed with your head hanging over the edge and lift your chin as far into your chest as possible; hold the position for ten seconds then gently return your head to its original position.
- Do ten repetitions daily.
7) Side Neck Stretch
- Sit on the floor with your back as straight as possible.
- Put one hand on the floor away from your hips.
- Wrap your other arm over your head with your hand resting on your ear.
- Gently press your head down into your shoulder with the palm of your hand.
- Place your other hand onto the upper arm and hold your position for ten seconds.
- Repeat the exercise ten times.
8) Lowering your Chin to your Chest
This is another simple and effective exercise to help tone your chin muscles.
- Start off in a sitting position making sure that your back is straight and your shoulders are down below your neck.
- Look up towards your ceiling and push you tongue up to the roof of your mouth.
- Hold your tongue flat against the roof of your mouth while lowering your chin into your chest.
- Try to keep your upper back straight at all times.
- Hold the position for a couple of seconds then relax and go back to your initial sitting position.
- Repeat the exercise 20 times.
Other Methods to Losing a Double Chin
In addition to exercises for toning the underlying muscles–tightening your skin can also help reduce the baggy double chin look.
Try a Cocoa Butter Massage
Cocoa butter can increase your skins elasticity and help to tone up your facial fat. Use the microwave to warm a few tablespoons full of cocoa butter and massage it gently into your face and chin twice a day. I’m not at all certain how effective this will be in really reducing your double chin but it can’t do any harm and cocoa butter smells great in any case.
Chewing sugar free gum not only keeps your breath smelling fresh but also helps tone up your facial and jaw muscles. Try chewing gum throughout the day to help reduce your chin flab.
Vitamin E increases the elasticity and the overall health of your skin. Increasing your daily Vitamin E intake might well be effective in reducing the flab around your chin and face. Dairy products, leafy green vegetables, legumes, nuts and beans are rich in vitamin E.
Wheat Germ Oil
Massaging your neck and chin area with good old wheat germ oil can be an effective method of losing your double chin but don’t expect quick results. Wheat germ is an excellent source of vitamin E which tightens and nourishes the skin.
- Every night before hitting your bed, rub a tablespoon or so of wheat germ oil into the neck and chin areas.
- Massage the oil upwards from the neck to your chin for at least 10 minutes and leave it in place on the skin overnight.
- Repeat this process each night for as long as it takes to see improvements.
Eggs are great for your skin’s overall health and nourishment and you can make a very effective mask with egg whites to help lose your double chin and keep the skin in good shape.
- Simply take the whites of two eggs and one tablespoon of milk, lemon juice and honey hen whisk the ingredients together well.
- Add a drop of cooling peppermint essential oil to the mix then apply the mask to the area around the chin and neck.
Leave the mask on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process daily for as long as you feel is necessary.
If you are trying to tighten up the skin around your neck and chin, a simple glycerin mask can be very effective. All you need is some glycerin, Epsom salt and a few drops of peppermint oil.
- Mix a tablespoon of your glycerin with half a tablespoon of your Epsom salt then add 2 drops of your peppermint essential oil.
- Mix it well and apply to your chin and neck area with a cotton pad. Leave the mask on for at least 20 minutes to allow sufficient absorption hen wash it off with water.
- Repeat this process at least 4 or 5 times each week and you should start to see results.
Massaging your chin and neck with good old nourishing milk may help tone your features as well as keeping your skin healthy and soft.
It could not be easier, all you have to do is:
- Apply some milk to your chin and neck and massage it in for around 10 minutes each evening.
- Alternatively, you can make a milk and honey mask buy adding a spoonful of honey to your milk.
Fresh melon juice is another effective method of losing your double chin according to many people that have tried it.
- Extract the juice from a fresh melon and use a cotton pad or ball to apply it to you neck and chin areas.
- Gently massage the juice into the skin for between 10 and 15 minutes then rinse it off.
- You can combine your melon juice with a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice for even better results.
Advice for losing weight
As I mentioned at the beginning of the article, there is no more effective way to lose face fat than losing weight from your body overall. There are hundreds of recommended diets for weight loss but the general rule of thumb is to eat less and exercise more. Try to follow this basic advice to regain control over your weight.
- Avoid alcohol as far as possible as well as other drinks high in sugar content.
- Stay as hydrated as possible.
- Try to eat a low fat diet high in fruit, vegetables and grains
- Boost your metabolism in the morning by not skipping breakfast.
- Consider grilling your meat or fry with olive oil instead of butter.
- Limit your intake of refined carbohydrates.
- Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.
For a real challenge try out this comprehensive workout and diet plan. Losing 5-10 pounds and working on the underlying muscles and skin elasticity should help reduce that double chin in no time.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.