Things have a way of becoming unbalanced—when things are unbalanced, everything gets thrown out of whack and the results can be uncomfortable. This includes the health of our most intimate parts.
The health of the vagina relies on a balance of bacteria. However, when bad bacteria outnumbers good bacteria, an infection can result
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis
Many women do not suffer from any symptoms from bacterial vaginosis. However, some women may develop a white-gray discharge accompanied with a noticeable odor.
This odor may be particularly noticeable during sexual intercourse. The vaginal discharge may be more abundant after the menstrual cycle or after sexual intercourse.
While suffering from bacterial vaginosis, some women may experience itching and pain during intercourse or urination.
Who is Most at Risk for Developing Bacterial Vaginosis?
Currently, it is not 100% clear what exactly causes bacterial vaginosis except for the imbalance of bacteria. However, certain variables have been determined that increase a woman’s likelihood of developing bacterial vaginosis. These variables are:
- Multiple sexual partners
Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis
The following home remedies will restore balance to your body and help get everything back in order.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective natural treatments for bacterial vaginosis. Because it’s so acidic, apple cider vinegar increases the level of acidity in the vagina.
This makes it difficult for bad bacteria to thrive while encouraging the proliferation of good bacteria.
The main draw of using apple cider vinegar is that it restores your pH balance. To use apple cider vinegar as a natural remedy for bacterial vaginosis, please follow these directions:
- Add 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your bath.
- Get into the bath and sit for about 30 minutes.
- Once you get out of the bath water, gently pat your vagina dry.
- Take an apple cider vinegar bath daily until the infection subsides.
Hydrogen peroxide is safe and gentle enough on your most intimate areas because it breaks down into air and water. Working as a natural disinfectant, hydrogen peroxide breaks down bad bacteria to use this home remedy, follow these directions:
- Mix equal parts of water and 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak a tampon into this solution.
- Insert the tampon and leave in for 20 or so minutes.
- Follow this treatment everyday until you eliminate the infection.
It is well known that yogurt is loaded with good bacteria, particularly lactobacillus. Lactobacillus helps to eliminate bad bacteria while restoring a healthy pH to your system. There are three different ways you can use yogurt to treat bacterial vaginosis.
- For the first method, dip a tampon into plain yogurt.
- Leave the tampon in for 2 hours.
- Remove the tampon and wash the area thoroughly with water.
- Gently pat dry.
- Do this remedy twice daily until the infection clears up.
- For the second method, take a cotton pad and apply yogurt directly onto the affected area.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash the area with water.
- Gently pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply this treatment 3 times a day until the infection subsides.
- For the third method, simply eat yogurt twice a day everyday. This will not only help clear up the infection, but will help boost your immune system and prevent this infection from reappearing.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful natural antibacterial and antifungal. These two compounds help combat the odor often associated with bacterial vaginosis.
Meanwhile, the antibacterial properties will help eliminate the bad bacteria associated with the infection. To use tea tree oil as a natural remedy, there are two methods you can try. Please follow these guidelines:
1. Add a couple drops of tea tree oil to your warm bath.
2. Along with the tea tree oil, add 3 cups of white vinegar.
3. Soak in the bath for a half hour.
4. Do this treatment daily until the infection clears up.
1. For the second method, add 3 drops of tea tree oil into a basin of warm water.
2. Apply this mixture to the infected area, using it as a rinse.
3. Apply this treatment once a day until the infection subsides.
Fenugreek takes a two-pronged approach to treating bacterial vaginosis. It helps to restore your pH balance while boosting the immune system.
Consuming fenugreek helps to speed up the healing time of the infection. There are 3 different ways you can consume fenugreek to help treat bacterial vaginosis.
- Add a teaspoon of fenugreek powder to your cup of yogurt and mix.
- Eat this mixture twice a day everyday until your infection clears up.
- For the second method of consuming fenugreek, soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water overnight.
- When you wake up in the morning, drink this water. You must drink this solution on an empty stomach.
- Consume this solution once daily for a month. Within this timespan, your symptoms should subside.
- For the third method, mix a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of hot water.
- Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the seeds from the water.
- Add a dash of honey to the water.
- Drink this mixture 2-3 times daily until the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis start to vanish.
Garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic. This home remedy is loaded with anti-fungal properties, which will help eliminate the infection. There are 3 different ways you can use garlic to help treat bacterial vaginosis:
- For the first method, wrap a clove of garlic in some gauze.
- Insert the gauze-wrapped garlic into your vagina.
- Leave it in for 30 minutes.
- Do this home remedy daily until the infection clears up.
- For the second method, crush 3 cloves of garlic.
- Take the mash garlic and apply it directly to the affected area.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash the area thoroughly with warm water.
- Gently pat the area dry.
- Follow these directions once daily until the infection clears up.
- For the third method, simply eat raw garlic or take a garlic capsule once daily. Before taking garlic capsule, speak with your physician.
Coconut oil contains powerful properties that will help treat the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis. Loaded with antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral agents, kills the bacteria responsible for infection. There are 3 different ways you can use coconut oil to help treat bacterial vaginosis.
- For the first method, simply take coconut oil and apply it directly to the infected area.
- Apply the coconut oil three times a day until the infection subsides.
- For the second method, take a tampon and dip it into coconut oil.
- Insert the tampon and leave in for 2 hours.
- Remove the tampon and wash the area thoroughly with warm water.
- Gently pat the area dry.
- Use this remedy once daily for several days until the infection clears up.
- For the third method, simply use coconut oil in your cooking. Using coconut oil in your cooking will help boost your immune system. When your immune system is properly functioning, it helps speed up the healing time and ensures that the infection doesn’t come back.