For me, the name blue tansy conjures up images of riverside walks on a hot summer’s day during childhood holidays on the mediterranean. From this plant, a beautiful essential oil is produced with a wide variety of excellent health benefits. True blue tansy is certainly an expensive oil but its impressive range of benefits may convince you that it is worth the money. If you would like to find out how blue tansy essential oil can benefit your health and how to go about using it, then read on.
What is Blue Tansy?
Blue tansy is a flowering plant related to the daisy which is a native of various parts of Europe. Blue tansy is also known by its scientific names Tanacetum Annuum or Tanacetum Vulgare. Blue tansy essential oil gets part of its name from its distinctive and vivid shade of blue which it gets from its azulene content.
It has therapeutic properties very similar to German chamomile and a sweet, warm fragrance that makes it extremely popular in aromatherapy. Blue tansy essential oil is derived from all parts of the plant by a process of steam distillation.
Unfortunately, pure blue tansy oil is not easy to get hold of and there are numerous fakes on the market.
Properties and composition
The chief chemical components found in blue tansy essential oil include:
Blue tansy essential oil has a fairly wide array of medicinal benefits which due to its many therapeutic properties.
These properties include anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, analgesic, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, febrifufe and expectorant qualities offering blue tansy oil the potential to deal with complaints ranging from wound healing to arthritis and even chronic skin conditions.
- Blue tansy or Tanacetum annum often gets confused with the common tansy or Tanacetum vulgare. The former which is used to produce the essential oil does not contain thujone.
- Blue tansy essential oil contains high levels of chamazulene which makes the oil a rich dark blue color and gives rise to its blue tansy essential oil name.
- The oil derived from anacetum vulgare or common tansy is never blue in color since it contains no chamazulen.
- Many unethical essential oil resellers are known to adulterate pure and very costly Blue tansy essential oil with the much cheaper oils derived from common tansy (Tanacetum vulgare).
- Many species of tansy contain volatile oils that may cause contact dermatitis in some sensitive individuals.
- Taken internally, the oil produces toxic metabolites as it gets broken down in the body. It is extremely toxic to various internal parasites and tansy tea has been used for centuries to expel parasites and worms from the system.
- Tansy oil is an extremely effective insecticide and is deadly to arthropods.
- Blue tansy essential oil is used for a number of medicinal purposes including arthritis, headaches, digestive troubles and skin care.
- Tansy contains several active constituents including 1,8-Cineole, myrtenol and camphor. 1,8-Cineole is believed to protect the plant and its leaves from attack by herbivores.
- Tansy has a lng history of medicinal use. In America, the Cherokee used infusions made from the plant to treat backache and as a geeneral tonic. The Cheyenne used infusions made from the plant’s leaves and flowers to treat weaknes, fatigue and dizziness.
Blue Tansy Essential Oil Benefits
Blue tansy essential oil has both antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which make it ideal for treating a range of conditions and injuries.
- If you have suffered from a minor scrape, cut, burn or an insect bite of some kind, applying a dab of diluted blue tansy to the affected area of your skin will help both soothe the pain and perhaps more importantly help prevent the spread of bacteria. This effectively means that your chances of developing any secondary infection is greatly reduced.
Blue tansy is also anti-fungal which means that it can help treat the types of fungus that lead to skin, nail or scalp infections.
2. For Allergies
For the millions of people who are affected by seasonal allergies, various essential oils can be a massive help. Like other oils, blue tansy has natural antihistamine properties. Unlike the antihistamine medications usually prescribed it does not have the same powerful sedative side effects.
Blue tansy actually reduces the body’s natural histamine response to an allergen meaning that it can help relieve many of the familiar symptoms such as sneezing, rashes and watery eyes. Many people have had great effect in reducing their allergic response with essential oils so why not give blue tansy a go?
3. For Muscle Relief and Arthritis
One of the best things about so many essential oils is that they can be used to reduce inflammation and ease the pain of sore muscles and joints. Blue tansy is no exception as it contains excellent anti-inflammatory abilities which will have you back on your feet with your muscles working more freely in no time.
Whether your muscles are simply aching because of a hard workout or you are feeling the growing effects of age on your body, a massage or a soak in a blue tansy bath will definitely help.
Blue tansy is also an excellent option for people suffering from chronic joint inflammation as a result of rheumatism or arthritis. It is also one of the oils that can be used to alleviate the horrific pain felt from a bout of gout.
4. For Anxiety and Stress
Blue tansy essential oil has a delightful warm, herbaceous aroma that can put your mind at ease in an instant. It is popularly used by people not only to treat various physical conditions but also to help with emotional issues like nerves, anxiety, stress and even cases of mild depression.
If you are at the end of your tether and are feeling that life is getting on top of you, essential oils like blue tansy are a wonderful and safe alternative to the very powerful medications prescribed for these conditions.
When inhaled or diffused, blue tansy has a wonderful effect on your mind. It can calm your fears and anxiety and help get your head back in the right space. Whether you have tried numerous medical treatments or you have suffered in silence, try giving blue tansy essential oil a go. You have little to lose and it may well work wonders for your mind.
5. For Digestive Support
Digestive health is extremely important to our overall health. It is important that we are able to digest and absorb the nutrients from our diet as effectively as possible and blue tansy essential oil is one of many essential oils that can do a great deal to ensure that your digestive system is fully functional.
Blue tansy oil can stimulate better digestion and provide relief from gas, indigestion, constipation and cramping.
6. For the Skin
Blue tansy can be applied topically so long as you ensure to dilute it first. It is a popular choice of essential oil for simply moisturizing the skin but can also help treat a variety of skin conditions because of its antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory activities.
It is used by many people to help treat acne, dermatitis and psoriasis as well as helping to soothe dry, itchy or inflamed skin.
- Before applying blue tansy essential oil to the skin, it is always sensible to perform a patch test because some people are known to be sensitive to this oil.
7. For Headaches
Say goodbye to those headaches with blue tansy essential oil. It is commonly and very effectively used to combat headaches whether they are caused by tension or sinus congestion.
- Instead of reaching for the aspirin, try diluting a few drops of blue tansy oil and massaging it gently into your temples and the sides of your nose and with luck, you will experience a very fast improvement.
8. For Improved Respiration
Blue tansy oil offers excellent natural support for the respiratory system. It has expectorant qualities which means that it can be inhaled to free up mucus and phlegm in the sinuses and lungs.
Its antiviral and anti-inflammatory ability also helps kill bacteria that may be responsible for your illness while it also calms down any inflammation in the system. And that is not all, blue tansy oil can also be used to help you get a good night sleep, free of coughing and congestion that may have been keeping you awake at night.
To help you breathe more easily, you can either diffuse your blue tansy oil or inhale it directly. An excellent option is to combine it with a few drops of eucalyptus or peppermint oil and make a steam inhalation.
9. To Repel Insects
Blue tansy may be very beneficial to people and we may well find its aroma to be alluring but that is not true of the cockroaches, mosquitoes and other creepy crawlies that infest our homes.
In fact, blue tansy oil has repellent qualities that insects cannot tolerate.
- If you need to get rid of any unwanted little guests, then try diffusing your blue tansy oil in the home or making a bug spray by combining a few drops of blue tansy oil with water.
How to Use it
You can use blue tansy essential oil on its own but it blends very well with bergamot, eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, helichrysum and neroli oil.
- Diffuse: diffusing blue tansy essential oil in your difuser machine can do wonders for your frame of mind not to mention that it will keep your home smelling fresh and free of bugs.
- Steam inhaler: add a few drops of blue tansy essential oil and an equal amount of peppermint or eucalyptus oil to a bowl of hot water and inhale the vapors to get rid of congestion and free up your breathing.
- Massage: dilute your oil in a carrier oil and massage it into your aching muscles and joints.
- For the skin: add a few drops of blue tansy essential oil to a dampened cotton ball and apply it to areas of your skin that need attention.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is Blue Tansy Essential Oil Derived From?
True blue tansy oil is derived from the Tanacetum annum plant. It should not be confused with oil from another type of tansy (Tanacetum vulgare).
2) What is the difference between Tanacetum annum and Tanacetum vulgare?
True blue tansy essential oil is derived from Tanacetum annum. It is free of thujone and contains large amounts of chamazulene which gives the oil its distinctive blue color. Tanacetum vulgare on the other hand contains thujone and is never blue in color. The latter should never be sold as an essential oil.
3) What are the Main Health Benefits?
Blue tansy essential oil has various medicinal properties including anti-fungal, antibacterial and febriguge properties. It is mainly used for skin care, arthritis pain, digestive issues and to relieve stress and anxiety.
4) How Much does it Cost?
The cost of blue tansy essential oil varies from company to company. True blue tansy oil is very expensive when compared to most other essential oils. If the oil is cheap, it is likely that it was adulterated with Tanacetum vulgare. Make sure you are buying from a reputable supplier.
5) Is it Safe to Use?
True blue tansy oil is generally considered safe to use topically as long as you dilute it before applying it. The oil should never be used internally and if you are pregnant, you should speak to a doctore before using it. Once again, it is important to stress that there are a number of fake blue tansy oil products on the market. Make sure that you are buying the real thing.
6) What does it Blend With?
Blue tansy blends very well with a number of other essential oils. Some of the best include floral oils like geranium, lavender, clary sage and ylang ylang. It also blends well with spearmint and petitgrain. Try combining your blue tansy oil with some skin friendly lavender and some fractionated coconut oil for a soothing massage following a long day on your feet.
Side Effects and Precautions
- Blue tansy oil and pregnancy: blue tansy essential oil is considered safe for use during pregnancy but please consult your doctor if you are concerned.
- Blue tansy essential oil should not be used undiluted nor should it be ingested.
- Blue tansy oil may interfere with certain medications including antidepressants, anti-psychotics, antihistamines and antibiotics.
- Because of its high camphor content, blue tansy essential oil should not be used by people with epilepsy or Parkinson’s disease.
- One last precaution is to again mention the high level of fakes. Purchasing fake Blue Tansy can result in a lighter wallet without the benefits.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.