There is nothing pleasant about thrush so it’s no mystery why you want to heal it and fast. Oral thrush is characterized by a sinister white coating on the tongue and inner area of the mouth.
Thrush is also accompanied with throat pain and difficulty swallowing. If you are suffering from this unfortunate problem, follow along, there a several home remedies provided to help eliminate this infection.
What is Thrush?
As mentioned earlier, thrush is an oral infection characterized by a coat of creamy white residue on the tongue and inner mouth. Thrush occurs when there is an overgrowth of candida albicans overtakes the mouth.
Now, truth be told, we all have bacteria and fungus in our mouths—although it may seem gross, it’s a normal part of life and our mouths. We need good bacteria and fungus to keep things balanced.
However, it’s when there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria and viruses when things go awry. When there is a proliferation of bad fungus and bacteria, it spreads to your gums, roof of your mouth, and throat, causing white spots, redness of the gums, and possibly even bleeding.
Its important to note that thrush can be spread from one person to another, so take care.
What Causes Thrush?
Although anyone can develop thrush, it most commonly occurs in people with weak immune systems, particularly babies, and the elderly. The following are the main causes of thrush:
- Weak immune system
- Certain medications such as oral birth control, and antibiotics. These medications can alter the balance of microorganisms and bacteria in the mouth.
- Dentures. Dentures trap food and bacteria in the mouth, making your mouth more susceptible to infection.
- Diabetes. People that suffer from diabetes tend to have more sugar in their saliva, which helps encourage the growth of candida in the mouth.
What are the Symptoms of Thrush?
The following are symptoms associated with thrush:
- White lesions of the tongue, inner cheeks, and throat.
- Sore red gums.
- Bleeding of the gums.
- Cottony feeling of the mouth.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Loss of taste.
How do you Treat Thrush?
First of all, if you suspect that you are suffering from thrush, its important to see your physician to ensure you’re not suffering from a serious condition. Often your physician will prescribe an antifungal treatment.
Although this will eliminate the infection, it will not prevent the infection from coming back. Some of the following home remedies will help to not only address the fungus, but also help create an environment hostile to the proliferation of bad fungus and bacteria.
Used in conjunction with your prescribed treatment, the following home remedies will help speed up the healing time while ensuring the infection does not come back.
Home Remedies for Thrush
When it comes to eliminating bacteria and fungus from the throat, salt is a popular home remedy. Salt will not only help eliminate the pain and symptoms associated with thrush, it will also help eliminate the infection.
This will help clear up the thrush in your tongue, mouth, and throat. To use salt as a home remedy, please follow these guidelines.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt into a glass of warm water.
- Gargle for one full minute, making sure not to swallow the solution.
- Spit the salt water out.
- Use this remedy a couple times a day until the infection subsides.
2) Baking Soda
Baking soda a great way to help treat oral thrush. Baking soda not only helps to restore a pH balance and neutralizes acids, but it also helps to eliminate the yeast responsible for the thrush.
To use baking soda as a home remedy there are 2 different methods you can use. Please follow these directions:
- For the first method, make a baking soda paste. Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough water to form a paste.
- Dip a cotton ball into this paste and apply it directly onto the inner cheeks and tongue.
- Let the baking soda sit for a couple minutes.
- Rinse the baking soda out.
- Apply this remedy 2 or 3 times a day until the infection clears up.
- For the second method, add a ½ teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and wait for it to dissolve.
- Rinse your mouth with the solution, making sure to swish it around.
- Spit the solution out.
- Use this remedy 2-3 times a day until the solution clears up. Swishing baking soda in your mouth will also help clear up any thrush in your throat.
If you want to restore the balance of good bacteria, yogurt is a great solution. Yogurt contains lactobacillus and active cultures, which will help get the yeast infection under control. There are 2 ways you can use yogurt to help treat thrush:
- For the first method, simply eat plain, unsweetened yogurt twice a day. Eating yogurt twice a day will not only help speed up the healing process, but will also help boost your immune system and supply your system with good bacteria.
- For the second method, rub a bit of yogurt on the insides of your cheeks and onto your tongue.
- Let the yogurt sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water.
- Use this home remedy twice daily until the infection clears up.
4) Coconut Oil
As gentle as coconut oil is, it is filled to the brim with antimicrobial properties that helps kill yeast while helping to soothe the uncomfortable symptoms associated with thrush.
Coconut oil also contains caprylic acid and lauric acid, which helps to eliminate the overgrowth of candida. To use coconut oil as a home remedy for thrush, please do the following:
- Dip a cotton swab into some coconut oil.
- Apply the coconut oil directly onto your tongue and the insides of your cheeks.
- Apply this treatment twice daily for a week.
- For another way to use coconut oil as a home remedy for thrush, make a mouthwash. Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil into a glass of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with the solution, making sure to swish it around your mouth. This will also help address thrush affecting your throat.
- Use this remedy 2 or 3 times a day.
5) Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
Drink a nice glass of unsweetened cranberry juice several times a day until your infection clears up. Cranberry juice creates an acidic environment in your mouth, making it difficult for candida to thrive.
- Garlic is a powerful and natural antibacterial and antifungal agent. Chewing on 3-4 cloves of garlic daily will not only help reduce the amount of thrush in your mouth, but it will also help to speed up the healing time.
7) Grapefruit Oil
Grapefruit oil is a wonderful home remedy for thrush. Using grapefruit oil, you can create a solution that will not only help eliminate the thrush, but will also help soothe the symptoms associated with the infection.
- Mix a couple drops of grapefruit oil in a glass of warm water.
- Swish the solution around in your mouth.
- Spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution several times daily. This will also help address thrush that may be affecting your throat.
Thrush Remedies Safe to Use on Babies:
If your baby is suffering from thrush, schedule an appointment with your pediatrician. Discuss the following remedies with your pediatrician before using them on your baby. The following treatments are considered safe to use on babies:
- Baking soda paste
- Salt water solution applied with a cotton swab
- Coconut oil applied to the area with a cotton swab
- Adding unsweetened yogurt to your baby’s diet