Are you taking all the proper steps to protect your cardiovascular health? Cardiovascular disease, heart attacks, and strokes are currently the leading killers of both men and women in the United States.
Watching what you eat and partaking in cardio aerobics are great ways to look after your heart, but there is something else some people are claiming that you can throw into the mix to keep your heart in tip-top shape– nattokinase.
Nattokinase is an enzyme derived from natto, fermented soybeans, particularly with the bacteria bacillus subtillus. Some experts claim that nattokinase supports cardiovascular health by lowering blood pressure and breaking up plaque buildup in the heart.
What Does Nattokinase Do?
Nattokinase is a supplement that breaks up the sticky substance that forms plaque, which can clog up the arterial walls. By keeping the arterial walls clear and running smoothly, nattokinase claims to prevent the formation of thrombosis and blood clotting.
How Does Nattokinase Work?
Nattokinase is an enzyme that works by dissolving blood clots. It does this by dismantling the bonds of the fibrin protein components. It also encourage the production of plasmin, which is your body’s own natural defense against clots.
This works by essentially thinning the blood. By ingesting this enzyme, you may be able to prevent some of the heart-damaging effects of eating large amounts of food that contain cholesterol. When one consumes too much cholesterol, one increases the likelihood of stroke, heart attack, and developing heart disease.
The Benefits of Nattokinase
Currently, there is no strong scientific research confirming the efficacy of taking nattokinase for your health.
However, some research has found that you may experience some health benefits when consistently taking this enzyme. Some research indicates that nattokinase may benefit you in the following ways:
- Nattokinase may lower the blood pressure. This enzyme contains bioactive peptides that may result help to normalize blood pressure.
- Nattokinase promotes the development of plasmin, which helps to prevent blood clots from forming and keeping the arterial walls clean.
- Nattokinase breaks down fibrin, the sticky material of plaque that can clog up arterial walls.
- Nattokinase may help break up the material of existing blood clots.
- Taking nattokinase may help to improve blood circulation, also responsible for helping to maintain normal blood pressure levels.
- Taking this enzyme may help to prevent the hardening of arteries.
- Consistently taking nattokinase may help prevent stroke, heart attacks, and the development of cardiovascular disease.
How to Take Nattokinase
First and foremost, before taking any supplement, even a natural product, you should always consult your physician. Currently, there is not enough scientific research to suggest a precise dose of nattokinase. Most studies conducted on nattokinase used 500mg daily split into two doses, taken with lunch and dinner. However, safe dosing may differ for different individuals depending on age, health, and if there are other conditions present.
There is currently not enough research to determine how safe this supplement is. Some research suggests that some side effects may result after taking nattokinase.
- It is not currently known if taking over 500mg of nattokinase is safe.
- It is not currently known if taking nattokinase while pregnant or breastfeeding is safe. It’s best to err on the side of caution and avoid taking this supplement while pregnant or nursing.
- Nattokinase is considered a natural blood thinner. Therefore, you should not take this supplement two weeks before surgery.
- Those suffering from bleeding disorders may want to avoid taking this drug as it thins the blood.
- Those taking blood clotting medications should avoid taking nattokinase.
- Mixing nattokinase with medications that slow blood clotting may result in bleeding and bruising.